DATE: February 5, 2020
POSITION: Billing Support Specialist (Full Time Regular)
SHIFT: Monday – Friday @ 8am to 5pm
LOCATION: BHS Corporate – Gardena, CA
DUTIES: The Billing Support Specialist performs a variety of clerical duties, providing pre and post billing support ensuring services provided to clients are
accurately billed to and paid by the appropriate contracted payer/agencies in a timely manner.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Generates 837 claim batches and responding files/transactions (835 & other HIPAA transactions) according to defined schedule for each contracted payer. Saves and maintains PDF and .txt files for each batch produced. Updates statistical logs and reports.
· Reviews each claim batch to identify any unresolved claims. Unresolved claims may include claims that are missing, denied or being held for various reasons.
· Identify source of unresolved claims and determine who is responsible for correction (e.g.: Site, End User, IT, Payer, etc.). Communicate verbally and or in writing unresolved claim issues to the appropriate responsible party.
· Corrects unresolved claim errors that have been assigned to you completely and accurately. Accuracy of corrections includes obtaining all required data elements and correct spelling utilizing prescribed data formats.
· Elevate and communicate issues preventing the correction of unresolved claims to immediate supervisors and/or Divisional Leadership, as appropriate.
· Record, document, maintain and distribute metrics regarding claims activities (errors, submissions, payments, etc.) required by management and third party regulatory agencies and contracts.
· Perform follow-up calls and written correspondence to payers/contracts as needed.
· Maintains knowledge of claim requirements for contracting agencies (SAPC< DMH, LAC, ACRO-Cal, etc.) and other third party payers.
· Assist supervisor with any special tasks, projects or events.
· Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Following are the qualifications and competencies required to perform the essential functions of this position. Qualifications may be
subject to modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· High school graduate or general equivalency diploma (GED) and diploma in Medical Assisting, or equivalent.
· One – two years of directly related experience.
· Ability to juggle multiple tasks.
· Critical thought process; ability to question why something is being done.
· Solution oriented and proactive approach to billing process.
· Ability to maintain tactful discretion, confidentiality and compliance with Health Insurance Portability and accountability Act (HIPAA).
· Strong verbal and written communication skills to establish and maintain effective working relationship with payers and staff.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, specifically Word and Excel.
· Ability to work with peers in a team situation
· Ability to convey respect for cultural and lifestyle diversities of all when interacting on behalf of the agency, recognizing personal biases working with diverse populations.
· Proficiency or ability to rapidly gain proficiency in use of electronic health record (EHR) technology
· Must be able to speak, understand, and communicate in English
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
· Three – five years of medical billing experience in healthcare
· Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers to operate a
computer and telephone keyboard reach. Light to moderate lifting is occasionally required (up to 25 lbs.) Ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended
period of time. Ability to travel locally if needed. Occasionally bend, sit, stoop, and stretch. Occasionally lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Moderate noise (i.e. office with computers, printers, phone, and light traffic). Professional office environment.
APPLICATIONS: Current BHS employees who are interested in this position may apply by submitting an "Employee Request for
Transfer". The request must be received no later than the closing date of this recruitment. Internal applicants will be accepted after
that time only if other applications are still being accepted and considered.
Other applicants may email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
or FAX (310)679-4621, or apply in person at the above address.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
BHS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
BHS will consider applicants with criminal history as required.