POSITION: Prevention Outreach Specialist (Full Time Regular)
LOCATION: NCADD Torrance Prevention - Torrance, CA.
ROLE & RESPONSIBLITIES:
· Networks with community agencies to establish strong working relationships.
· Researches community resources and establishes community partnerships.
· Documents client contacts, program linkages and community referrals.
· Attends community meetings, City Council hearings, and disseminates prevention information as appropriate.
· Assists Prevention Coordinator in creating and conducting presentations to individuals, organizations, families, community partners and groups at all levels.
· Utilizes cultural and ethnic wealth within communities and assists in developing culturally relevant materials to be used in alcohol and drug prevention strategies.
· Provides accurate, updated and culturally appropriate referrals as needed.
· Participates in service planning area (SPA) wide prevention efforts.
· Facilitates/co-facilitates structured discussion groups.
· Conducts community surveys.
· Works collaboratively as a team member with all staff members.
· Work in support of the LA County Work Plan goals and objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: Following are the qualifications required to perform the essential functions of this position. Qualifications may be subject to modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act. Bilingual abilities may be required within certain BHS programs.
· High school diploma or equivalency.
· Must have valid California driver’s license and liability insurance if driving personal vehicle on BHS business.
· Ability to communicate clearly with clients, staff, peers, supervisors and non BHS resources. Ability to demonstrate/convey respect for cultural and lifestyle diversities of clients and staff.
· Ability to present to diverse communities/populations, at all levels of internal/external organizations.
· Basic knowledge of referrals.
· Proven track record of, and ability to demonstrate ethical and professional standards of behavior.
· Knowledge of drug and alcohol dependency, mental health, family systems and 12-Step/recovery resources in the community.
· AA degree or relevant Substance Abuse/Addiction Counselor education.
· Previous community outreach experience.
· Ability to utilize Social Media and update content to develop and manage campaigns.
· Familiarity with the SAMHSA Strategic Prevention Framework and Logic Models.
· Experience in event planning.
· Ability to recognize personal biases working within diverse populations.
Recovering individuals must have a minimum two years clean, sober and abstinent to be considered for employment.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach.
· Light to moderate lifting is occasionally required (up to 25 lbs.)
· Ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
· Ability to travel locally.
· Moderate noise (i.e. office with computers, printers, phone, light traffic)
· Professional office environment.
APPLICATIONS: Current BHS employees who are interested in this position may apply by submitting an "Employee Request for Transfer". The request must be received no later than the closing date of this recruitment. Internal applicants will be accepted after that time only if other applications are still being accepted and considered.
Other applicants may email resume to email@example.com or FAX (310)679-4621, or apply in person at 15519 Crenshaw Bl., Gardena, CA. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
BHS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
BHS will consider applicants with criminal history as required.